We’ve been getting very little done these past few days here as we’ve been following all of the news from WWDC. Mashable has a great write up with some awesome new features to be found in the new OS X 10.10 Yosemite for all the other Mac enthusiasts out there. The new OS features a beautiful interface (as usual), increased productivity, and some awesome new capabilities.
Here’s six of the top reasons to look forward to OS X 10.10 Yosemite:
1. Prettier Icons: Yosemite has cleaner and clearer icons along the bottom of a Mac screen, including the apps that usually value function over beauty. “That is a gorgeous trash can,” Federighi said. “You wouldn’t believe how much time we spent crafting a trash can.” It’s the little details that matter, after all.
2. Larger Interface Field: When a user clicks on the magnifying glass icon located in the top right corner, a Spotlight search bar appears in the middle of the screen.
3. Smarter Search Bar: The search bar is intuitive, auto-completing search terms with apps, news items and even maps.
4. Expanded AirDrop: AirDrop can now move documents and other items back and forth between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. In addition, Handoff allows users to transfer seamlessly from working on one device to working on another.
5. Easily Transferrable Non-iPhone Messages: Whereas text messages sent from other phones used to not show up on Macs, iOS 8 streamlines all messages onto a user’s computer.
6. Phone Calls On Macs: Phone calls can now be accepted and made via Mac. Federighi demonstrated this by calling Beats founder and rapper Dr. Dre, whose company was recently purchased by Apple.
Although “free” is not a feature, it’s certainly a nice perk — the upgrade to Yosemite will be gratis when it finally makes its debut.
If you want to see all of the new perks and get a full rundown of what will be available with Yosemite, check it out here.